This morning our support system gets an email. The title was “We would like to do business with Goldsboro Web Development. Of course, it’s clickbait and an agent reads this. At this point, we hear laughing down the hallway and he begins to cry in laughter.
It is a SEO company that is trying to sell us SEO by using spam advertising and what makes this especially funny is that they’re trying to sell themselves as an organic SEO company – if they were any good at organic SEO they wouldn’t be using spam advertising.
Here was the message in full:
Dear goldsborowebdevelopment.com owner,
Greetings of the day!
I am a digital media expert representing a Silicon Valley based Digital Agency.
When I came across the website goldsborowebdevelopment.com, I found just that some technical aspects of your website are incorrect which needs your immediate attention. If you consider fixing those bugs and make the necessary correction to those technical aspects, definitely you will get more traffic as well as more business.
Below I have listed my findings and suggestions about your website:
- We suggest implementing HTML headings. ( H1 (0), H2 (0), H3 (0), H4 (0), H5 (0), H6 (0))
- Your website’s ratio of text to HTML code average. We suggest adding more text to your website.
- 12 images without ALT.
- Your page does not utilize Schema.org markup.
- External link (Follow-4, No follow-5).
- You should have a favicon.
- Your website does not contain a robots.txt file. This can weaken your SEO.
- Your website does not contain an XML sitemap and it’s a necessary factor for search engines.
- A canonical tag is set for this page, but it can’t be reached.
- You have not specified a language for your website.
- This page does not have a viewport meta tag or it has an empty value. Probably, it will not look perfect on mobile devices and will get a lower position in mobile search results.
We have more technical aspects to be checked on your website which are affecting the website performance.
We have certified digital marketing professionals and developers who can fix all the above issues immediately at an affordable price. I guarantee you will see a drastic change in your Google search ranking once these are fixed.
If this is something you are interested in, and then allow me to share the complete proposal to improve your website.
Let me know what you think!
James Parker | Marketing Consultant
Phone: +1 (760) 284 3365
disclaimer: This is an advertisement and a promotional mail-in adherence to the guidelines of CAN-SPAM act 2003. We have clearly mentioned the source id of this mail, also clearly mentioned the subject line, and they are in no way misleading in any form. We have found your email address through our own efforts on the web search and not through any other way. If you find this email unsolicited, please reply with “REMOVE” in the subject line and we will take care that you don’t receive any further promotional mail.
You see, they were hoping this email would land on a company that had no idea what SEO was – I know this because everything they listed as being wrong with our website is just simply not so – we have the proper tags, we have the proper text to HTML ratios, we have it all on our website and our customer’s websites. In fact, a simple SEO plugin will demonstrate that. They were hoping you would contact them, they would charge $2,000-$5,000 dollars to advertise you on Google, spam your website (which would result in a ban a few months later) while doing no work on your website (as this email demonstrates a certain ‘incompetence’).
In the end, this is the perfect example of why you need a trusted company to help with your SEO and digital marking. Never, ever, ever, ever sign on to a company that sends you spam, it’s like hiring security guards that just broke into your home.